Nicholson was incorporated by a charter granted on August 23, 1875. According to the 1880 U.S. Census, just five years after being incorporated, there were 586 residents in Nicholson. According to more recent 2008 U.S. Census data, Nicholson had an estimated population of 658.
The borough was named after John Nicholson, former comptroller general of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1782 to 1794. At one time, he held millions of acres of land in Pennsylvania, however, he died in a debtor's prison in Philadelphia in 1800.
The borough government structure consists of a mayor whom is elected every four years and a council of six members whom are elected for overlapping four year terms. The council members are elected from each of the borough’s two wards, three from each ward.
For more detailed history of Nicholson, please visit the Nicholson Heritage Association's history page by clicking here.
For more detailed history of Pennsylvania, please click here.